Category Archives: Community Building

[Guest Post] Turning off the 24/7 Community Manager Lifestyle

The community manager’s lifestyle is constantly going, going, going. From meetings to strategy to ROI to engagement to programs and events, it’s hard to step away and unplug.

But this is key: a community can only operate on a 24/7 basis if you put the right tools and resources in place. So how do you step away and disconnect while keeping your community running? Continue reading

Improve Your Customer Service the Easy Way: by Automating and Scaling It

Are you looking for simple and effective ways to create a better online service experience for your customers? Play along with me here.

Imagine you’re the maître d’ of a renowned haute-cuisine restaurant. You’ve worked hard to create the most unique menu in town, a unique environment and immaculate interior design. The restaurant was built on your obsession with creating an unforgettable experience for your customers from the moment they step through your doors, and the 5 stars you regularly receive prove it. Continue reading

How to Go the Second Digital Mile for Your Customers

Technology is an incredibly powerful tool for managing your customer service operation. Still, no matter how well designed your automation, how thorough your knowledge base, or how clever your ticket deflection, technology will never erase the need for a genuine human touch.

If you want to set your brand apart from all the others, keep reading. Continue reading

Why Customers Can Tell Your Brand’s Story Better Than You Can

“Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can’t remember who we are or why we’re here.” – Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees

Not long ago, brand storytelling began to be considered all the rage in digital marketing.

New marketing channels seem to emerge every day. With that, brands have to make strategic choices about when, where, and how to present themselves to customers. At the same time, they have to compete with all the other brands out there jockeying for the same audience. Continue reading

When Advocate Marketing Incentives Backfire

“You scratch my back; I’ll scratch yours.”

That’s the basic premise that underlies advocacy marketing programs. “You promote my brand; I’ll give you something valuable in return.” It’s a sound model put to good use by plenty of brands we know and trust. Lyft, Dropbox, and Evernote are great examples.

That’s all well and good, but what happens when a little good-natured back-scratching takes a dark turn? Before you know it, your well-intentioned advocacy marketing program can look and feel like you’re bribing users for publicity.

Keep reading to find out how that can happen and, more importantly, how you can prevent it from happening to you. Continue reading